Sunday 3 February 2013

in delightful company

Knowing that rain was coming, we decided to literally squeeze as much out and about time we could with our dear friends, whilst the sun was shining. So on day one, we swam and delighted in one of our favourite beaches, Sawtell, the water was amazingly warm, we drifted in the current and Saul, Lily and Poe enjoyed standing up on the surfboard as the little waves nursed them back to shore. It was an ideal beach day, even after three hours we were reluctant to leave but lunch and Never Never was calling. 
After everyone was full and smiling again, we found ourselves at Never Never Creek, and then we hesitantly tiptoed into the chilly and refreshing water with giggles, shrieks and splashes. It was pretty great to experience two totally different water scenarios in one day, yes, we were ensuring that we were all totally sodden, in preparation for the rain that was heading down the coast.
We had rope swing fun (I faced my fears and had my first go, it was pretty great, but feel like I still have a way to go before I can pull of Scott's somersault stunt) paddled about on boards and gazed as the horses came in for a swim. It is such a magical place. 
After quickly getting home, peeling off our swimmers and dealing with that sneaky sand that manages to get everywhere, we then went up to 5 Church St to see the lovely and very sweet Sarah Humphreys perform. It was quite amazing to look around and see our poor tired children, full with eyes glazed staring at Sarah knowing that they were in their own little worlds, absolutely shattered from such a big day, Scott and Rod looked at them and hastily took them. Jen, Jack (Scott's beautiful nephew) and I stayed out a bit longer, enjoying the rest of Sarah's set. I loved seeing Jack just lap it up, he is fourteen and lives in Brisbane, he is an absolutely gorgeous and wonderful human, who plays a mean guitar and has a very sweet voice, I could just see his brain taking it all in. Jack was also very sun tired so we walked him back after Sarah had finished and then without even stepping inside we quickly turned around and rode back up to have a cheeky mojito and a more intimate catch up. It was very special to have Jen with me, in this space that we frequent so often, I was so happy and content that I almost had to pinch myself. 




The rest of the stay included the deliciousness (and noisiness due to ten children being constrained to inside) of a larger than usual curry night, massages by the amazing Stephen Cooke (more about him later), lots of playing and lapping up having these special ones so close. 

*For some reason the one of Scott swinging Ilo didn't upload properly the first time, but today it has, woohoo, better late than never. 

11 comments :

  1. oh, one day Sarah will come to New Zealand and sing in Dunedin.. until then I'll just imagine what it was like for you. love the photos by the creek too, the emerald green colour is so lush. Someone told me that the colour for 2012 was tangerine and for 2013 it's emerald green, so you're (possibly inadvertently) right on trend, lovely lady.

    ps. not that you need to be on trend or anything, trends are silly. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey lovely you, i suggest you petition Sarah, even harangue her if necessary, I am sure she would be delighted to come and entertain you all over there. Emerald green for 2013 and tangerine for 2012, that explains a lot; tangerine isn't really my colour! Ah but as I enjoy bucking trends, I might need to chose a new colour just so I don't conform ;)

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, it looks lovely to have Jen and crew stay with you for some time - did they get stuck there at all or beat the rising river? Sarah's gig looked lovely - saw some other pics on Instagram the other day...did you chat to Paul? They are such a beautiful trio! Hope everything is well, Poe back at school and the land looking extra lush after all that water. chat soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello there, i have been thinking about you lots but haven't quite found the right time to call, but hello! Jen, Rod, Lily and Saul managed to get out, they were stuck at the airport for a few hours watching planes circle, but all good. Sarah's gig was lovely and it was nice to see Paul, yes we had a chat and also met little Jude, they are all very sweet. We are all well, Poe has been counting the sleeps and was super excited to go back today, as I can imagine Priya would be. Hope you are all well too, will definitely chat, sooner rather than later. xxx

      Delete
  3. Hello there, Pete and I spent much time on Friday evening in awe of your photography on this here blog. (I feel I must also say that my Pete is not easily awe struck, he was very happy to be entranced by your posts) Do you ever use any filters? You have such a beautiful feel for composition and of course the most very important factor in capturing a moment...the light! I am sure that when we next meet, Pete will be wanting to talk photos. Very happy for you that you were so content you were at pinching point. A great way to be and even better when we realise it in the moment. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you two are unbelievably sweet, I must admit I read the comment twice to soak it in, to grin like a loon and to shake my head in wonder. I am absolutely gobsmacked that Pete was in awe, gobsmacked and humbled, what an amazing compliment. I don't use any filters, just play around with exposure a bit, striking lucky a lot of the time. I don't use photoshop, I don't know how and haven't had the time/patience to sit down and learn. Would love to talk photos with Pete, what a delight that would be. Thanks gorgeous ones, you made my day.xxxxx

      Delete
  4. Oh how I would love that sea change to your beautiful area and do not rule it out for the future. Seriously beautiful to come here. I just love this blog..xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Amber? That is exciting, have you visited before? Please let us know if you are coming for a visit anytime and you can either stay with us or pop in for a tea and a tour :)

      Delete
  5. These pictures are so lovely! You have a beautiful family. :)
    Trish

    www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trish and thanks for visiting.x

      Delete
  6. oh jay, such beautiful photos and memories. Makes my heart ache, just wanting to be back there with you all!

    love love love

    ReplyDelete

thank you, thank you for sharing your words, thoughts, feelings. xx