Monday 28 November 2011

away

A couple of nights ago I sat down to write about our time away, I wrote and wrote but felt completely dissatisfied with the post, so I shelved it. How could I write about each home that I visited, each friend that I had the honour of catching up with, in a mere sentence or two? Yes, it's possible but it isn't enough for me. So slowly, slowly these are our first few days.


Usually when we go on road trips we try to start as early as possible, armed with cd stories, pencils, paper, lots of food, favourite songs and a few other surprise toys (as you might have guessed we aren't really big fans of those portable tv/dvd devices, we definitely believe that a bit of boredom is great for kids). Anyway to help out Poe and Ilo a little we decided to embark on the five hour drive to the Central Coast in a different manner, the plan was that we would leave in the late afternoon, have dinner in the car and then the kids will fall asleep listening to a story on the cd player and then transfer easily into bed and wake up in the warm embraces of Peeba and Phil. Good plan right. And do you know what, most of it worked like magic, by 7pm both Poe and Ilo were asleep and Scott and I were gazing at the sun as it made it's way down past the lush green hills and flat plains coating everything in a light that was worth a gasp or two. There were very few cars on the road and the trip was a breeze.



I did say most of the plan worked, the rest of the plan, you know the bit about the kids transferring into bed etc. etc. did not really work out. They both awoke an hour out of Lisarow but were content just gazing out the window, which was great, however when we arrived, oh my goodness it was like Christmas had come early. Both Poe and Ilo were simultaneously telling stories, dancing, singing and laughing for Peeba, Phil and Patma (my aunt), they were delightfully excited. We arrived at about 10pm and they didn't get to sleep until about 12. The fact that Ilo hadn't eaten for a while didn't help (Ilo had fallen asleep in the car within 20 minutes of leaving Bellingen). Nevertheless we are converts of the night drive, we just need to fine tune it. Poe loved the fact that he was asleep and then, nearly there. 


The next day was spent luxuriating; eating amazing curries, being entertained by Poe and Ilo, talking, crafting and planning some op shopping expeditions. Ilo and Poe loved tagging along with Phil as he pottered around the garden, checking on the blueberries, strawberries and blackberries and feeding the silver perch (thanks to Phil's backyard aquaponics).


On the second day we set off on an op shopping adventure (I have a hard time thinking of a better adventure) and it was like the op shopping fairies had been waiting, I struck op shopping gold. Seriously crazy and awesome but the best thing was that most of the gold came under the category of gifts. Even though I have crafted gifts for everyone I must admit that for those extra extra special friends I like to add a little well loved something as well. Unfortunately that means I can't post any pictures of said gifts as that would spoil the surprise for a few of you out there. I did however manage to happen upon a delightful collection of doilies to add to the ridiculous stash that I have at home, ridiculous but used on a regular basis for many a crafty thing. I also scored a couple of 70's dresses (awesome but not quite right for me, so I have chosen new and much loved homes for them), some stunningly soft and beautiful floral sheets and some much needed glasses, of the drinking kind.
Oh yes, in this time of excess, is there nothing better than being able to recycle with excess. Excessive consumption of mass produced material goods creeps me out at the best of times but at Christmas, oh my goodness it makes me sick to my stomach and desperately sad about the fate of the world, yes, sorry not really festive thoughts are they, no actually they are because festive should be about delighting in those around us, the love and how lucky we are, not by how much worthless stuff we can accumulate.


The rest of our visit to Phil and Peeba's included a visit to the Japanese Gardens, more sewing, more chatting and more loveliness. Phil and Peeba's home is like an oasis, a place where whoever enters it immediately feels relaxed, loved and warmly embraced. It is one of my most favourite places to be.
Oh by the way, unfortunately Scott was not around to experience all this lovin, he headed to Harrietville to the National Bluegrass Festival, but have no fear he had an amazing experience, but more about that later.
Now to Sydney, first stop Tracey and Vince's (hopefully tomorrow).

2 comments :

  1. Traveling in the car is great when it works - and really terrible when it doesn't! Glad to hear everyone was asleep by midnight though.

    I hear you on the Christmas season sentiment. This year however, after making myself so sick with Ted's no sleep and desire to craft ending in a write off January for me, this year I am being kind to myself. A small well thought-out and ecologically aware present for little people is enough to save my sanity. Crafting is for next Christmas, when my sleep debt is all sorted out and I don't have so much work to fill my nights! I envy you and your ability to do craft with the children awake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh but thoughtful, small and ecological gifts are so important as well, then you are supporting, local and small businesses and their focus on the environment, even more important when it means that the mummas and the pappas stay sane.
    mwah.

    ReplyDelete

thank you, thank you for sharing your words, thoughts, feelings. xx